re you ready for the next big storm to hit Myrtle Beach? Experts say you need enough supplies to last at least 72 hours. Do you know what you need to last that long? Here’s how you can prepare for the next big storm to hit the Myrtle Beach area.
- Water – Store one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation. Remember you will may need to bathe or flush toilets with this water.
- Food – You need at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food. Items such as soups, vegetables, cereals are good. Stay away from salty items as they make you want to drink more.
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and an NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- First aid kit – Make sure it has the standard items, plus any medications you regularly take, including pain relievers.
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
Here are some additional items that you might want to consider, based on your needs:
- If you have an infant, make sure you have formula and diapers
- If you have pets, store extra food and water for them as well
- Cash – Make sure you get enough cash to live on. Power in Myrtle Beach may be down and so will the ability to process credit and debit cards.
The main thing to remember is that if a major storm hits Myrtle Beach, you need to be prepared. So now’s the time to start getting your emergency supplies together so you’ll be ready for the next big storm.